What is post tensioned slab and what are its advantages?
Post-Tensioned slabs (as its name suggests) are the slabs which have been post-tensioned.
The slabs may be of any type (including solid flat slab, coffered slab, ribbed slab, beam & slab system, banded flat slab, paneled slab etc) & may be used in any location (including in roofs, foundations etc)
Post-tensioned slabs offer many advantages over conventional reinforced concrete slabs; some of these are –
- More economical structures resulting from the use of prestressing steels with a very high tensile strength instead of normal reinforcing steels.
- Larger spans and greater slenderness. The latter results in reduced dead load, which also has a beneficial effect upon the columns and foundations and reduces the overall height of buildings or enables additional floors to be incorporated in buildings of a given height.
- Under permanent load, very good behavior in respect of deflections and cracking.
- Higher punching shear strength obtainable by appropriate layout of tendons
- Considerable reduction in construction time as a result of earlier striking of formwork.