International Association for Bridge & Structural Engineering
The International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE) is a scientific / technical Association with 3900 members in 100 countries, counting 48 National Groups worldwide.
The term ‘Structures’ includes bridges, buildings and all types of civil engineering structures, composed of any structural material.
The mission of IABSE is to promote the exchange of knowledge and to advance the practice of structural engineering worldwide in the service of the profession and society.
IABSE has following objectives:
- to promote cooperation and understanding among all those concerned with structural engineering and related fields by worldwide exchange of knowledge and experience
- to encourage awareness and responsibility of structural engineers towards the needs of society
- to encourage actions necessary for progress in structural engineering
- to improve and foster cooperation and understanding between organisations having similar objectives
For this purpose, the Association may:
- organize conferences by itself or in collaboration with other organisations
- encourage and conduct continuing education programmes
- publish reports, communications and periodicals
- identify research and development needs- initiate and support research activities
- confer awards for structural engineering achievements
Being a Member of IABSE is being a Member of the foremost international society of structural engineering experts. Members have the opportunity to develop an international network of professional and personal contacts with colleagues all over the world.
Membership is on annual basis from January 1 to December 31.
In addition, IABSE offers fellowship to eligible members. Fellows are dedicated Members of IABSE, who have accepted the Association’s invitation to join as Fellows.
The IABSE Fellowship is a good opportunity to actively support promising young engineers through IABSE services. IABSE Fellows are entitled to all individual member benefits.
An applicant should fulfill the following criteria:
- have been an IABSE Individual Member for more than 8 years
- be at least 45 years of age
- be, or have been, a member of an IABSE Committee and/or have published and article in an IABSE Publication
- hold, or have held, a position of responsibility and contributed significantly to the profession on a national or international level.
For membership benefits & details, visit official website of IABSE.